Home Dental Care in Burlington, MA
When it comes to your smile, you want it to be as healthy, functional, and beautiful as possible, right? Well, then you should be practicing a proper at-home dental care routine! Although professional dental care is also an essential part of having optimal oral health, neglecting your home routine can have a big impact on the health, appearance, and even function of your smile.
Selecting Dental Care Products
When selecting the products to use during your at-home dental care routine, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Always select a soft-bristled toothbrush that can reach every area in your mouth (even those back teeth).
- Waxed floss can be easier to use and less likely to result in bleeding.
- Toothpaste, mouthwash and any other products should be ADA approved.
- Fluoride products can help strengthen teeth and promote remineralization.
When it comes to brushing, you should be doing so a minimum of twice a day.
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle relative to the gums.
- Gently brush in small, circular motions.
- Brush the chewing surface, outside and inside of each tooth.
- Use the tip of your toothbrush to clean the inside of your teeth.
Flossing should be done no less than once each day.
- Remove about 12 to 16 inches of dental floss.
- Wrap the dental floss around your middle fingers, leaving about 2 inches between your hands.
- Use your thumb and forefingers to insert the floss between teeth gently, using a sawing motion.
- Curve the dental floss into a “C” shape, allowing you to reach between each tooth and under the gumline.
Along with brushing and flossing, scraping/cleaning your tongue is also highly important. Bacteria (especially the kind that cause bad breath) love to hang out on your tongue and can increase your risk of decay, infection and even disease.
Following meals (even snacks) we recommend rinsing your smile, this can reduce debris, bacteria, acid, and plaque in the mouth.
Visit The Center for Adult Dental Care Today
Along with your at-home dental care routine, it is important to visit your dentist at least twice a year for routine care. Contact the Center for Adult Dental Care today to schedule an appointment with our dentist in Chelmsford or Burlington, MA.